Field trippin'. To the Aronoff to watch some of my high-schoolers perform Les Misérables. Five buses of students and teachers spilled out on the sidewalk. We were then channelled into the Japlan-Karson theater.
The highlights (aside from the script and music):
1) The red curtain. *Sings for those who are familiar with the play*
Red! The color of theater curtains! Black! Not the color of theater curtains!
2) Fantine jumping cheerily on to her death bed.
3) The loud thumping noise when one of the revolutionaries was dragged from the stage - I'm pretty sure it was unplanned. Poor kid. It sounded painful.
4) How Javert kept looking at his mom during the performance. And his suicide. His fall off the bridge was most impressive. And again, there was a loud thump. He seemed fine after the play so no worries.
In the evening I went back and watched the play again. Because I have never been the kind of person who could watch a play or movie only once. And because I wanted to see it when I wasn't also checking to see why three students weren't back from the bathroom at the beginning of intermission.
More Highlights:
1) When Fantine lost her hair-peice and a grisette slyly kicked it to the side.
2) When Fantine gracefully sat on her death-bed. The director must have mentioned she shouldn't be so sprightly before her death.
3) The company.
4) When one of the revolutionaries jumped because she was hit in the head with the flag.
5) When Jean Valjean couldn't get the gate open. He tried really hard.
6) All the death scenes. They were so moving. Perhaps I'm an emotion junkie.
7) Feeling all proud during curtain call.

No comments:
Post a Comment