Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Teaching Sunday School

One of my favorite things to do is teach the junior high Sunday school class at my church. I have one basic rule while I am teaching. Discussion must be "of eternal significance." Here's an example of how it went the first few times I used this rule:

Me: Tell me some ways that your thoughts and words can be pleasing to God.
Haley: Melissa, can I say something?
Me: Is it of eternal significance?
Haley: It's about my band teacher and what she said about my new socks.
Me: That isn't eternally significant. Socks will not last into eternity.
Emily: There won't be socks in eternity?
Me: Definitely not the same socks. Heaven and earth will pass away. Your socks will be on earth which will pass away.
Grant: What about our Bibles? Won't they pass away? How can we be sure these Bibles are "of eternal significance?"
Me: Because the Word of the Lord will last forever.
Connor: Can I have a slushie?
Me. We are very far off topic. Tell me some ways your thoughts and words can be pleasing to God.

Now, all I have to say is "Not of eternal significance." And the kids know that we need to focus.

I'm really excited about my Easter lesson. It will be my first lesson with a soundtrack. I figure if directors can use a soundtrack to make a movie scary or funny or moving, why can't I use one to emphasize the truth of God's word? Sam has agreed to wear a beard and dress up in Bible costume. I'm still trying to get someone to play the part of the bad guy.

I am hoping to give the students a sense of triumph and gladness at Jesus' resurrection. So much of Sunday school is just lighting sparks and hoping they catch. Pray that the students will leave on Easter Sunday with hearts full of wonder and praise.

1 comment:

Joseph said...

I wanna be the bad guy