Saturday, April 26, 2008

The Tale of the Relatively Grim Adventures of Seven Not-so Nautical Friends















There was a group of friends who one day decided to go out for a boating excursion. They were seven with two small boats. The rowboat had four in it, and a carefree and innocent lot they were.

They were Chris of the bow, Sam of the stern, and Missie & Cheryl at the oars. The group rowed far out into the lake with no thought to what might come.

In the other boat there were the three remaining friends. This lot of friends were not so innocent and carefree. Note their grim visages.















These three also went far out on the lake. The three closely observed their friends in the other boat, and coveted it's speed.

Said the first, named Red-Handed Mel, "Why not catch up with them while they are floating unawares and take it for ourselves."

Said the second, Grim-Visaged Tyler, "What a dark plan. I like it. But how shall we overtake them with our vessel being the slower?

Said the third, Leanna of the Golden Heart, "If I were to sit on the bow, the vessel's speed would increase. However, I hardly think it worth it. Let us be content with our own vessel, and go far from here to remove temptation from our way."

Eloquently argued Golden-Hearted Leanna for a peaceful resolution, for she hated all violence, but Grim-Visaged Tyler and Red-Handed Mel were not to be deterred. So the evil plan was put into action. Hard the two labored to overtake the rowboat. The unsuspecting friends did not even think of escape, but rowed (rowed, rowed) their boat gently about the lake.

And at last, the rowboat was overtaken. A horrific battle between the seven insued.
Red Handed Mel lunged onto the boat and announced their intention of having the boat for themselves. One of the friends attempted to fling her into the lake, but Grim-Visaged Tyler distracted him by dropping the anchor.

Had it not been that the four were heart-broken at their former friends evil intentions, the boat may not have been taken so easily. But in the end, of course, the two prevailed.
The Two left Leanna of the Golden Heart, Chris of the Bow, Sam of the Stern and Cheryl of the Oar to float on the weaker vessel in the middle of the lake. Red-Handed Mel and Grim Visaged Tyler saw that Missie of the Other Oar would be useful as a galley slave and therefore they allowed her to stay. A very impudent slave she turned out to be, often threatened with the brig or the plank or the cat o' nine.
And that is the tale of how two friends through their coveteousness converted to piracy and turned on those who were dear to them. May God have mercy on their souls.

6 comments:

Joseph said...

Arrrgh!

Leanna said...

Now those are some grim visages! Love the blog!

Stanton said...

Nice story. I like the title. :-)

Ike said...

I like the story.
Or post, or whatever you want to call it.
Rats, I can't think of anything else to say...
Normally at this point I try to make my comment interesting, try to make it stand out from the average Frank.
(Notice my use of "Frank" over the more typical "Joe". This is because I don't actually know anyone by the name of Frank, and thus that is a safe hypothetical moniker for me to use.)
Anyway, I can't think of anything to say, so i guess I'll just

Alanna said...

My dad's name is Frank. :)

Sarah said...

Very nice liked the story!