Friday, April 11, 2008

Frankenstein meets Miss Havisham

I read a series of books not to long ago by Jasper Fforde. He wrote novels that are... fantasy? mystery? humorous contemporary? Best-selling anyway, because they're just wonderfully creative. In his series there is a place that is the ultimate library where every book ever written exists and is alive. At one point there is a bit of a problem when the library is re-organized and the feminist literature is placed next to the medeaval literature, or something like that, and all the characters start fighting. At another point a minotaur (bull's head; man's body... it's from Greek mythology I think) escapes his confines and hides away in a Zane Grey novel, were he can remain quite inconspicuous on some nice cow trail.

I never pictured this exact thing happening in a library, but I have noticed that it annoys me when a book I like has to sit next to a book I dislike. Now I have a reason for this unfounded annoyance. The characters might not get along.

For example, in GBS library, Frankenstein was sitting between a 'Heart & Song Romance' and some sort of Civil War Romance novel. I'm pretty sure when the lights go out in the library some civil war nurse gets the scare of her life when she sees Frankenstein sliding from the pages. Well, maybe some two-dimensional character from the other book sees him as misunderstood and decides to get to know him, which is what he's always longed for.

The Legend of Sleepy Hollow was sitting very near the Jan Karon novels. I'm pretty sure that when Ichabod Krane ran away and was never heard from againg, he headed for Mitford. That town would be just his speed, and the headless horseman would prefer Sleepy Hollow.

Some books the characters and monsters slide very easily from between the pages. Especially if it has a long legs. A spider. It's easy to picture spider legs coming from between pages. I can see the spider from Tolkein's The Hobbit crawling out the top of the book little by little, then down the spine of the book as it continues to grow larger until it towers over the bookshelves.

Captain Hook would come out with panache, simply ripping the binding with his hook and elegently stepping out as if he'd just stepped off the gangplank, with Smee bumbling behind him. All the gunslingers would jump out of the Louis L'amour books causing chaos, which is just enough diverson for the spies from world war II novels to sneak covertly form between their pages looking over their shoulders.

It's not a terribly original idea, but it is fun to look at a bookshelf and imagine the chaos that would follow if the characters from each book came out and associated with one another. On my own bookshelf in my dorm room, The Lotus and the Cross sits next to a western, which sits next to a Great Expectations, which is by a P.G.Wodehouse, which is by Cheaper by the Dozen. I can't even imagine some of these characters associating. Can you see Pip and Bhudda? Or a Louis L'amour character and Bertie Wooster? And from this sort of fodder, Jasper Fforde created a couple of hysterically funny novels. It's so odd how I can even associate with these characters... How could one person associate with Bertie and Bhudda? Talk about diversity... it's amazing what diverse characters move into our brains.

5 comments:

Alanna said...

i have never thought about that before...it would make a great movie! :)

Leanna said...

Personally, I don't think I'll ever be able to enter a library after dark after reading this blog...
Its really good, though, good potential for a paper sometime.

Sam said...

agree with Lana about possible paper idea, except I HAVE been in the library in the middle of the night, and I haven't seen any "activity". who knows, maybe they are smart and avoid a ruckus when security comes in. what an interesting concept, not new you say?

Ike said...

Excellent post!
Makes me want to read Fforde again.
Laughing out loud, two thumbs way up!

Joseph said...

I wanna see the pokey little puppy meet cujo...