Monday, February 23, 2009

Unbreak

Before leaving on break, Kristin asked me to feed her fish while she was gone. Perhaps she thought it would give my life meaning and purpose. The first night I shlumped into the room and sadly fed the four of them. It served as a reminder that I had been left alone and couldn't go see my crazy lovable family.
Today, I realized that the five of us had been deserted together, and I should look on them as comrades. After all, the highlight of their day is probably when I flip on the light and put a pinch of food in their tank. After this realization, I became more sympathetic and their personalities -- animalities? marinalities? --have emerged a bit.
The bug-eyed goldfish, I've decided to call Gussy. He's rather aggressive, and always seems happy to see me. He is named for Gussy Finknottle.
There is a quieter more cautious goldfish (without bug-eyes) who I have chosen to call Hogan. Because he is shy ---desperately shy.
There is another more friendly goldfish (also without bug-eyes) who I have decided to call Chauncey, because 'Chauncey' is fun to say. Chauncey-Chauncey.
The fourth fish, Usher, has been worrying me. He's a black fish with bug-eyes. He has taken to cowering behind the yellow coral all the time, except when he hesitantly slips out to get a bit of food. I've named him Usher, and I considered calling Kristin to ask if this is his usual marinality or if he needs to visit the fish doctor. Maybe the goldfish pick on him.

2 comments:

Sam said...

Hogan. HeHe. Good name.

Ike said...

Gussy Ink-Bottle, did you say?
;/)