When I first started this blog I really intended to talk about books on here, just because that is something I enjoy writing about. But I haven't been doing much liesure reading this semester. However, I finally managed to make time for one very special book. It's was so thought-provoking and the characters were so simply and beautifully defined. The name of the book is A Fierce Bad Rabbit by Beatrix Potter. Of course the book is illustrated, all the best books are (Frog and Toad are Fiends, Eloise at the plaza, If you give a mouse a cookie).
There are really only three characters in this book. The Fierce Bad Rabbit, the Timid Good Rabbit and the Hunter. In the beginning of this book the Timid Good Rabbit, as a reward for his timidity and goodness is given a carrot. Of course the Fierce Bad Rabbit, because of his feirosity and badness is not. So he decides to take the Timid Good Rabbit's carrot. The climax of the book comes when you see a picture of the hunter, and the only words on the page are "This is a man with a gun." Now the 'man with a gun' is really a brilliant portrayal of human-kind, I believe with the gun representing the amount of power or authority humans have, and the hunter's poor eyesight (he mistakes a rabbit for a strange bird) representing the weakness of the human condition. The book reminds us to laugh a bit at fascinating crazy paradox that is humanity.
If any of you want to read it, I own it and highly recommend it.
4 comments:
Nice...er...blog! j/k Love the "hidden" message! I really do love your pictures though...did you take all of those? They are calendar quality!! :-)
Wow! Good to see you are blogging again. Now that is some high literature your reading right there. I must say I am very impressesd:)
Good post!
I like someone who can do a literary analysis on Beatrix Potter...
Keep it up!
bravo! good job. i like...muchly
Post a Comment