When I'm at college, I don't have a living room. So I've been forced to find a replacement. Coffee shops. On Saturday, I desired one of my substitute living rooms, to be distracted from my inability to understand Algebra.
My favorite substitute is Coffee Emporium, because it is close and because the coffee is fantastic. However, I hate remembering change for the meter (not to mention parallel parking), so at times I fall on my back-up substitutes. Most of them are Starbucks.
So where would I go?
I don't like two in particular, because they are just entirely too busy.
Another I don't like because it has weird hours.
And there are several that are just too far away.
So I selected the Secret Starbucks, whose location I am sworn never to reveal. When I arrived I remembered what I dislike about that starbucks. The music. I walked in and heard some squally bluegrass chorus. Why do they play music like this? It is not in Kentucky (at least, I don't think it's in Kentucky). But they often seem to play music that is just too nasal, too twangy, too bluegrassy, too country for me.
In annoyance, I mused how the non-busy Good Music Starbucks would have been a better option. They play Dean Martin and Andy Williams and Ella Fitzgerald as often as not. One night I remember knowing and liking every song they played. I could, perhaps, have gone to The [other] Secret Starbucks. But I don't remember what type of music they play, and it is just a bit outside of my driving radius.
So I sat and thought how bitter it is to have no say in the music played in your own back-up substitute living room. As I sat in mid-glower, Louis Armstrong came over the speakers singing Let's Fall in Love. Followed by a croony guitar player. Followed by a pretty wavery French song. So I smiled and was at peace with the Secret Starbucks.
6 comments:
I know the location of this substitute living room...this is b/c of your very accurate discription of its music. I hate their music.
...although you have to love Louey.
And I agree about the annoying parking at the CE.
At least the Twangy Secret Starbucks upgraded your drink.
Nice pic of Miss Phelps and Miss Rosy.
All things twangy are not vile. However, when sipping in substitue living rooms, I do prefer crooning instead of nasal hollerin'.
And the {secret} startbucks?
Ya. I know where it is.
Lets go.
Soon.
I own all things gift-card. lol.
I have a coffee table and a couch, does this count as a living room? Although my kitchen, office, bedroom and living room are all the same room. Hmmm.
IRT: CE - It's not that bad parking downtown. At least, this coming from a guy who likes CE, going downtown, and parallel parking I see as a challenge.
Unsadly, I find most of Starbuck's music annoying.
CE on the other hand has good riff's I hear.
So which is the other secret Starbucks? I thought the near one was the other one. Or are there three?...
I enjoyed your post. I must say that if I had to listen to blue grass while sipping my very favorite carmel frappichino (sp?) I would have to find a new Starbucks as well. I can handle about 2 minutes of BG and that's it. BTW, I'm looking forward to hearing you all tonight at the GBS Christmas program.
Post a Comment